Friday, August 03, 2007

Obesity – Is It Contagious? – Study Says Yes



Not Sure which diet is best for you?
Check out our Diet Reviews
===========================

As you probably know, Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the Western world, particularly in North America. Statistics show that two thirds of Americans are now overweight or obese. Obesity is now America’s 2nd leading cause of preventable death, next to cigarette smoking and is closing in on becoming the leader. Obesity is responsible for 300,000 deaths every year.

Could you conquer obesity? The answer is yes. I don’t want to sound superficial here, but unless you have a medical condition associated with obesity the chances are pretty good. Even those with clinical obesity have been known to overcome it with proper treatment, including medication, behavior modification, nutrition and physical activity.

And I’m not just blowing out hot air. There are quite a few people on Myspace, for example, who have conquered obesity, and some have lost well over 200 lbs in the process. Although I’m not saying it’s an easy thing to accomplish. It takes motivation, dedication and hard work.

Those that have obesity not related to medical conditions have become obese by basically consuming more calories than they expend over long time periods. In addition, one thing most of these people have in common is slow metabolic rate. The second thing they share is they live sedentary lives. And what is the single most important factor responsible for speeding up the metabolism? Answer: Physical activity. But that’s another topic.

Can obesity be contagious?

A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that people have a higher chance of becoming obese by having obese friends, even if they live far away, than they do by having obese relatives.

According to the research, if your buddy is obese your chances of becoming overweight will increase by 57%, 40% if one of your siblings puts on extra pounds and 37% if your spouse or life partner does.

The study basically found that obesity has a higher risk of being developed from social relationships that from genetic ones. Furthermore, a person does not become obese just by having obese neighbors but by having obese friends.

The alarming thing is, since more and more people in society are becoming obese, others may think that it’s okay to be overweight. This is human nature. And if you hang around a barber shop, like the saying goes, you’re going to get a haircut. That’s not to say, however, that a person should end friendships with people who are obese or overweight.

It might help, however to expand relationships to include people who have healthier lifestyles and/or who have successful plans for weight loss maintenance. And as a result, they can promote improvement of lifestyle with the rest of their friends.

There really is no easy way or short cut in overcoming obesity. Diet pills and weight loss supplements don’t work, although some may work in the short run. Many diet drugs, however, have very harmful side effects. Fad diets also produce temporary results. And many of you, who have tried some variations of these, know what I mean.

One big factor associated with obesity is the super sizing blitz (from the food industry) that has been sweeping North America over the past few years. And that’s not only coming from the fast food industry either. This has also spilled over to the processed food sector that includes a lot of ready prepared food products available in the supermarkets.

First of all let’s establish that the reason people become obese is by consuming more calories than they expend. Obesity is a product of a standard principle of input exceeding output. And as the body gets bigger it needs more calories to support that weight.

Many overweight people, however, will argue that they’re not really overeating. This is because we usually aren’t conscious of and don’t keep track of everything we put in our mouths during the course of an entire day. The only way to get a clear picture is to record all our meals and snacks over a period of a day and add up the total calories. You may be surprised to find out the amount of food you are actually eating on a given day. Only when you become aware of the amount of food you are consuming, you can begin to reduce your calorie intake accordingly.

Besides the quantity of food we eat quality is just as important. What foods does you diet consist of? Do you eat a lot of foods that are nutritiously empty but are loaded with bad fats, bad carbs and salt (unfortunately many these of these foods taste good)? These are definitely factors that we have to consider – factors that contribute to obesity.

What’s a good way to reduce your daily consumption? One way is to use substitution. Choose low fat instead of high fat proteins, and use high fiber carbohydrates in place of refined carbohydrates that have been stripped of their fiber content. Replace sodas with water. You will automatically reduce your total daily caloric intake significantly by following the above 3 steps. Here are some other ideas you could implement into your plan:

Replace potatoes with yams, white rice with brown or wild rice, use whole grain pastas and whole grain bread. Do not take two different carbs in the same meal. In other words if you have bread you shouldn’t include rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.

One efficient yet simple guideline I like to follow for calorie control during my meals is I put all the food I’m going to eat in one regular size plate. And I won’t eat anything more than that. By doing this, you will never leave a meal feeling over stuffed yet you’ll feel satisfied.

This method also eliminates picking at foods randomly from other dishes, similar to a buffet, which leads to over consumption. These are some ideas that may help to improve the food component of your weight loss plan. The other component, physical activity, we will talk about next time.

References:
World Science, “Obesity Found to Spread Socially”, http://www.world-science.net/othernews/070725_obesity.htm





Categories: ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, portion control is definitely important. That's how I originally lost 110 pounds. Keep the news coming.

mario001 said...

If you want to know how to burn fat
fast
, there are few things you can do. But you have to be completely sure you will do everything to succeed... It is all in your head.

Mario


http://www.burnyourfateasy.com/weight-loss

Lindys At Home said...

I am rather new here, but after reading your blog I was a little dismayed at your statement that herbal and natural remedies don't work. Personally I think that is hogwash!These healthy all narural supplements do work for a lot of individuals.By saying they don't work is like saying Dr. Atkins diet doesn't work. Every one is different and some diet's may work for one person and not for another. Portion control is definitely a key to weight loss, and so is exercise. I was slightly overweight (5'5" and weight 170lbs) and found that natural supplements aided in my weight loss along with exercise, and using the "push" technique.(I pushed myself away from the table when I sensed the feeling of fullness) I personally trust natural as opposed to manufactured junk, but I also did a lot of research into the supplement before I put them in my mouth.Please don't poo-hoo something if you haven't experienced it first hand. My weight has been 125 for the last 10 years. I continue to be active, exercise and continue to eat healthy and I just turned 60.Mother Nature was here long before the huge pharmaceutical companies and I for one trust Her more than them, and use my common sense.

Unknown said...

Yes but the real factors that were responsible for your weight loss were likely due to the fact that:

You probably decreased your caloric intake and

Increased energy expenditure.

Unknown said...

Hello, This is Mary

I am 36 years old with 2 toddlers. My youngest just started day care last week- which still feels a little strange. I haven't had this much time to myself in years. First thing I want to do is lose the extra pounds I put on during the last pregnancy. One of the girls next door has suggested I join her walking group two days a week. After my first pregnancy I lost around 35 pounds using the Herbalife products, but when I called the man that sold them to me three years ago he told me this week he doesn't sell them anymore. He told me to look on the internet. It's disappointing because he was really nice and he called me regularly to make sure I was using their products correctly. It was nice to have someone checking in with me every week to see how I was and it kept me motivated.

I searched on the internet for someone that sells Herbalife in New Jersey. I found many websites but I don't want
just to buy the products, I want to find someone trustworthy that sells the products so I can also meet them and get started again.

Could anybody here recommend someone in New Brunswick?
.

Thanks, Mary

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,

>From one mom to another I think I have a solution for you!! I want to lose 40 pounds, and I've lost 28 so far!!! I am feeling fantastic and have more energy than I did when I was in college. I went through three different Herbalife distributors until I found the person I felt really actually cared about me and helped me to start getting results. The bottom line was that I wanted to find somebody that could offer me good prices, but that could also check in with me to make sure I was doing ok.

I used to drive two hours to meet with my first distributor in West Haven, Connecticut. I even brought the girls with me a few times because I couldn't find a babysitter. Today my Herbalife coach does everything over the phone and it is much easier with my busy schedule. You can order Herbalife online on his website, you get the shakes a few days after with FedEx and then you can setup a telephone meeting once a week to make sure you are doing the program right.

His name is Danny Castello and his website is www.goshape.com. The number is (310) 928- 3835. He and his girlfriend Michaela actually do most of the coaching together as a team, but she has an Herbalife site as well: www.puresteps.com. He does most of the motivation on the call and gives you important facts regarding nutrition. He can be a bit tough but he really wants you to get results. She is a bit softer- so they make a good combination. Actually I also recommend joining his newsletter first so you can see the articles on nutrition. They also have videos so you can see who they are before actually calling them. Its nice because they actually use the products too. You can see on their websites.

Hope this helps!

Liz